This soup is delicious and quite simple to make! Although I don’t eat sausage very often since it is a processed meat, a good quality organic chicken or turkey sausage is fine to eat once in a while and I love how it adds wonderful flavor to this soup.
Comforting Winter Soup with Sausage and Greens
- (1) 15 oz. can cannellini beans
- 1-2 quarts low-sodium organic chicken broth Saffron Road brand is delicious
- 4 raw organic Italian chicken or turkey sausage
- 1 large zucchini diced
- 3 carrots diced
- 1 head broccoli diced small
- 2-3 cups kale chopped, ribs removed
- 2-3 cups fresh spinach chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil chopped
- 2 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4-1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- freshly grated parmesan cheese for garnish
Heat the olive oil in a soup pot over medium high heat.
Slice the sausages lengthwise and then into pieces and brown them in the oil, about 10 minutes.
Add the garlic, zucchini, carrot and broccoli and saute until the vegetables begin to soften, about 15-20 minutes.
If you are like me and you don't love beans, drain and rinse the canned beans and mash them with a fork. Then add them to the soup. If you prefer, add them whole after they are drained and rinsed.
Add the broth and the seasonings. If you need more liquid, add more broth or water and then add extra of the salt, pepper and seasonings.
Bring the soup to a boil. Simmer for 40 minutes.
Add the greens (spinach, kale, parsley and fresh basil). Cook for 5 minutes.
Taste and add more salt and pepper as needed.Serve garnished with a sprinkling of grated parmesan cheese.