This recipe is a mix between a casserole and a taco dip. It’s super satisfying and a dinner that will appeal to your whole family! A one-pot Mexican dish complete with protein, vegetables and whole grain, and bursting with flavor! Serve it with some extra tortilla chips or even taco shells or tortillas on the side, add a salad and your dinner is done.
Mexican Taco Bake
A one-pot casserole bursting with flavor!
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. ground turkey, chicken or beef
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper diced
- 2 cloves fresh garlic minced (or 1 tbsp. garlic paste in the tube)
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4-1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper or more to your liking!
- 2 1/2 cups enchilada sauce
- 1 cup cooked brown rice or quinoa
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and chopped (optional!)
- 1 lime or lemon juiced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped (or 2 tbsp. cilantro paste in the tube)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado diced
- optional topping: plain greek yogurt
- tortilla chips
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Heat olive oil in a large, ovenproof skillet. Add the onion and pepper and ground meat. Cook for about 10 minutes until browned, breaking up the meat as it cooks.
Add the jalapeno, fresh garlic, smoked paprika, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Cook for about 1 minute.
Add in the enchilada sauce and the cooked rice or quinoa. Stir until combined. Cook for 5 minutes.
Stir in lime or lemon juice and cilantro. Sprinkle with cheese.
Remove pan from stovetop and place uncovered in oven. Cook for about 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Remove from oven. Top with avocado and a handful of smashed tortilla chips. Serve with greek yogurt and more tortilla chips for dipping!
You can make this dish spicier by adding more cayenne pepper and more jalapeno peppers.
This dish is SOOOO good leftover when you heat it up and eat it with tortilla chips to dip.