Whenever Phil and I go to Scottsdale, the first thing I do is RUN to Flower Child restaurant and get my absolute favorite salad! It’s a healthy, delicious combination of sweet and salty with a bit of a crunch!
And since I don’t (yet) LIVE in Scottsdale, and I crave this salad when i’m home in Northbrook, I have tried to copy it to the best of my ability. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Shredded Kale Salad with Grapefruit and Smoked Almonds
A copycat of my favorite salad from Flower Child in Scottsdale!
- 1 bunch lacinato kale stems removed and discarded, leaves shredded
- 1 cup red cabbage diced
- 1 apple diced or sliced thin
- 1 pink grapefruit skin removed, flesh cut into chunks or sliced
- 1/4 cup raisins or currants
- 1/2 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup smoked almonds placed in a baggie and pounded into pieces
Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- 1 small shallot
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. honey
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
Place all Vinaigrette dressing ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth. Set aside.
Place all salad ingredients in a large salad bowl, except nuts.
Toss salad with dressing when ready to serve. Top with smoked almonds.