Healthier Italian Wedding Soup is a delicious, satisfying soup…whether you’re getting married or not! Enjoy this easy recipe!
Healthier Italian Wedding Soup
Hearty and delicious!
- 1 lb. organic ground turkey breast
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 4 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 2 tbsp. fresh flat leaf Italian parsley leaves chopped
- 1 tbsp. whole milk
- 1/2 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 64 ounces organic low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 small onion chopped
- 4 carrots chopped
- 4 celery stalks chopped
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1/2 cup small whole wheat pasta such as couscous, orzo or pastina
- 12 oz. fresh spinach chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley chopped
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. basil
- 1 tsp. oregano
To make the meatballs, saute the chopped garlic with 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat for about 3 minutes.
Place cooked garlic in a large mixing bowl. Add in all the other meatball ingredients. Mix well.
Roll the meatballs into little small balls. Place on a baking sheet lined with tinfoil and set aside.
In the same stockpot, heat up about 1 teaspoon olive oil. Add in the onions and stir for about 2 minutes.
Then add in the celery and carrots and season with a pinch of sea salt and pepper. Let the veggies cook down for about 5-7 minutes on medium high heat.
Add in two 32oz (64oz total) containers of chicken broth. Bring to a boil.
Lower heat to medium/medium-high. Add in the pasta and cook for about 10 minutes.
Next, add in the meatballs and let them cook through for about 3-4 minutes.
Lower heat to a simmer and cook for about 20-30 minutes.
Add in fresh spinach and remaining parsley and let wilt.
Season with the basil, oregano, lemon juice and additional salt and pepper as needed. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.