Need an easy Quarantine Dinner using some of the vegetables you have on hand and a pantry-staple grain? This Roasted Vegetable and Barley Bowl with Tahini Sauce is satisfyingly rich and delicious. And it has an abundance of healthy ingredients to keep your immune system fighting the Corona fight!
Roasted Vegetable and Barley Bowl with Tahini Sauce
A rich and healthy complete meal
Roasted Vegetable and Barley Bowl
- 1 unpeeled sweet potato diced with skin on
- 1/2 head red cabbage chopped
- (1) 9 oz. bag shredded brussels sprouts
- (1) 4 oz.container sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 cup raw pearled barley
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Spike Original Seasoning or any all-purpose seasoning or any seasonings you like!
- 1 big squeeze garlic stir-in paste I've been loving this lately! You can use 1 clove garlic minced instead.
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 cup tahini paste
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 handful fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley chopped
Preheat oven to Roast 375 degrees.
Combine barley with 2 cups water. Let water boil and then simmer barley for about an hour until cooked and soft. Cover and set aside. If using quick-cook barley, cooking time will be reduced. Refer to package directions.
Place diced sweet potatoes and cabbage on a cookie sheet. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil and season. (I used Spike Original Seasoning and pepper) Toss to coat. Roast in oven until soft and brown, about 50 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Place brussels sprouts and mushrooms on a cookie sheet. Toss with 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil and season. (I used Spike Original Seasoning and pepper)
After cabbage and sweet potatoes have been cooking for about 20 .minutes, add the cookie sheet with the mushrooms and brussels sprouts to the oven. Cook about 30 minutes, until soft and browned and crispy, stirring occasionally.
While vegetables are cooking, make tahini sauce. Place all ingredients in a bowl except parsley. Whisk everything together until a smooth sauce is formed. Stir in parsley. Set aside.
When vegetables are done, assemble bowls. Place barley and vegetables in bowls and top with sauce.